Political random thoughts

myESAi Forum Index » Current Affairs and Politics

Post new topic  Reply to topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12

aba kostir
AdmaQi

Send private message

View user's profile
Sun Jun 24, 2007 11:02 am   
Isn't that where our dearest First Lady is from? So, I don't mind using a WelQayit Tsegedea translation. Afterall, its waaaay better than my Tigirigna which is basically adding "tsi" to every Amharic word i know.

I have a question tho... you call somebody from Wello- Welloye... from Gojjam- Gojjame... Menz- Menze, right? what do you call a person from WelQayit?


_________________
teseQele bilugn tebmenjaw neiw biye
teseQele bilugn shigutu neiw biye
lekas Belay norual tiliQu sewiye!!
B
Division Head

Send private message

View user's profile
Sun Jun 24, 2007 11:22 am   
Alex wrote:
aba kostir wrote:
Thanks, B. Now I know where to go when I need a Tigrigna translator.


For a more detailed translation, check this thread out.


ene eko yemilew...manbeb manin gedele?
go through that page again, alemay

and aba, I'm not really sure
I've only heard "wolqayt nat/nuw"
but you can call me "welqayte" hehe

I saw chereka refer to us as "wolqes" so maybe thats a term

Myliham
Aregawi

Send private message

View user's profile
Sun Jun 24, 2007 12:40 pm   
Ethiopia wrote:
Lela_mar wrote:
Empress wrote:

Quote:

ou mention that the TPLF's main enemies are people of the Tigray region itself and that might be true, but aren't those the same people someone on ethiomedia was wondering the whereabouts of just few days ago? The silence doesn't necessarily indicate support but it does have a symbolic importance to the government.


What exactly do you want the Tigrians people todo? What have the people of Gonder done? What have the people of Wollow done? What have the people of Arsi done? etc... esti tell us please?


Lela Mar, Alex, Empress,

Empress:

What you saying could be to a certain extent true but the general perception of blaming everything on Tegaru, and associating everything TPLF does on Tegaru, is there and its just perception. In Ethiopia today, if you support TPLF views of the world, Ethiopia, regardless of your ethnicity you will get a nice govnt job, you get everything you wanted. That is a fact. But its also a fact that the general perception of hatred towards Tegaru is there. The good thing about this perception in Ethiopia is that people (Tegaru and non Tegaru) still live together in harmony, still go to the same church (alike so ridiculous Diaspora), still eat together in neighborhoods. That is the fact I saw last time I went. Only people show this PERCEPTION of hatred towards Tegaru on an individual convo with other ethnicity. (I should have used a better word than hatred because it really not hate, its more of aww yea that nice house belongs to a Tegaru, this solder is from tigray,....)

Lela Mar,

if you have read all of that, who brought up that attitiude towards Tegaru? Its EPRDF/TPLF/Its not the CUD problem nor any opposition. If there is anyone to be blamed its EPRDF/TPLF. They are the once who originally started struggle for Independent Tigray and advocated their association with the people of Tigray.

So, you look at it every angle if there is anyone to be blamed its TPLF/EPRDF. Living in a country where a day for light murderer gets to spend three million dollars of Tax money for his attorney (because rule of law, true justice, and fair trial in court for four years), a terrorist American becoming so controversial in Court, whether he should be tried as an enemy combatant or his constitutional right should be respected, a Guantanamo bay prisoners becoming a main debate of human right, justice, in a country you live,

You, in face of out right in justice, and drama of Ethiopian justice system, trying to tell us what has transpired yesterday is Just and right. If someone, not me, perceived you to support it just because you are a Tegaru, I think its hard to defend otherwise. I mean you have to be inhuman, or just mindless human or someone who is intellectually monotonous (trust me Meles and co know very well, this is not a JUSTIC, its the end justifies the means).

TO ALL,

the perception of ethnicity is sadly to say much worst here in the Diaspora that in Ethiopia. There are only hand full Tegaru in the Diaspora who could see things beyond their Tigrayan background and speak out for injustice, human right and democracy. Almost all, not a perception, associate themselves with Abuna Paulos, because he is tigrayan, EPRDF/TPLF because they could speak tigrigna. Non-tigrayans animosity towards Tegaru is to the same degree in the Diaspora. Well, yediasporawn neger tewut.

So, the problem of Tegaru, blaming on Tegaru that is luckily merely a perception and not something Thinking, intellectually enable Tigre should not worry about, nor a genuine non-Tigre should feel anxious about possible ethnic conflict because IT WONT HAPPEN IN ETHIOPIA, NEVER. A poor tegaru in Ethiopia vote for EPRDF/TPLF not because TPLF preaches they stood for them, but who could bring a bread to the table (well at least who campaign to do that), an Amhara or Gurage in Ethiopia doesn’t say I wont go to that church because it’s a Tegaru church, or cant be neighbor with a tegaru, Let alone to the degree of haterd in the Diaspora to each other. Everyone, Amhara, tigre, gurage, goes to church not because they accept Abuna Paulos, or A tegaru goes to church not because he accepts a tegaru abuna paulos but because to worship God.

So, the problem is only in the Diaspora both tegaru, who are blinded by their tigrigna language speaking ability, and non-tegarus who feel left out because they are not tegarus. So, Lela mar, open your mind and eyes. Thank you.


First of all, I applaud everyone for this intellectual discussion on the topic at hand. I am still trying to digest and analyze what others have said. In the mean time, let me assert my opinion into the topic by replying to the underlined portion of Ethiopia's response.

Like you Ethiopia, I used to believe that the issue of Ethnicity is much of a Diaspora problem rather than the Ethiopian society in Ethiopia. Considering what has been transpiring in Ethiopia ever since May 2005 and the aftermath, as much as we would like naively to believe that Ethiopians get along just fine in Ethiopia, accounts of friends and family testimony has changed my view. Rather than me recounting their story, I think Alex has given us a perfect example of what took place in the heart of Addis. Overnight, people frowned upon Tigryans whether they voted EPRDF or CUD.

Logically, if such despise, a lesser word for hatred, was only brought out only by EPRDF, then at least Tigryans that voted for CUD should have been spared of the abuse at the hands of their friends, gorebt and family members. As we have read and have been told, the story was rather different.

While I tend to agree with you that EPRDF polarized ethnicity, not as a genuine concern for minorities in Ethiopia, rather to divide and conquer, I disagree with your statement or Gooch's statement that the opposition nor CUD had no hands. Remember, while CUD might have prophecies to be an pan-Ethiopian party, we all know that it had certain ethnic touch/influence to it. Regardless which party member said the notorious statement about sending Tigryans back to where they came from, such un-savvy political statements did contribute to the unfriendly attitude towards Tigrayans that last few years. Also, we should remember that there are people historically that didn't have a favorable attitude towards Tigryans due to the history of Ethiopia. So my friend Ethiopia, unfriendly attitude towards Tigryans was not only caused by EPRDF. As I have explained, as far as I am concerned, there were and still are many reasons for those unwarranted abuse. As crooked as ERDF is, it capitalized on the fear that aroused as a result and "seemingly" Tigrayans re-invited TPLF/EPRDF as their vanguard party.

more to come.....


_________________
"The most potent weapon in the hands of the oppressor is the mind of the oppressed." - Steve Biko
myESAi Image
keha
Tewfit

Send private message

View user's profile
Sun Jun 24, 2007 12:54 pm   
aba kostir wrote:
I have a question tho... you call somebody from Wello- Welloye... from Gojjam- Gojjame... Menz- Menze, right? what do you call a person from WelQayit?
welqayite, no?


_________________
myESAi Image
Quote:
I never really hated a one true god
but the god of the people I hated
TOYTOAPECHTHXWPA
Azewtari

Send private message

View user's profile
Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:04 am   
Posted on the Hager Fiker Radio website:

HR 2003 Dead on Arrival?

myESAi Image




_________________
myESAi Image
Berhanu Nega and Elias Kifle in Crystal City, Virginia, Oct 27, 2007

"ONLF and OLF might also want to consider carrying out similar operations [as the Abole oil field massacre]." -Elias Kifle-
Empress
Tewfit

Send private message

View user's profile
Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:15 am   
TOYTOAPECHTHXWPA wrote:
Posted on the Hager Fiker Radio website:

HR 2003 Dead on Arrival?

myESAi Image



Whoaaaaaa! ha ha!

Ay meqoyet degnetu, sintun yasayal!


_________________
Says a tribal chief: “Here in Lesotho, we have two problems: Rats and the government.”

No body, no one, not even those who perpetrate or/and perpetuate it, deserve injustice.
Empress
Tewfit

Send private message

View user's profile
Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:33 am   
Quote:
The Dogali victory, unlike the distortion of the Amhara historians, is not the victory of the Ethiopian peoples. It is the victory of the peoples of Tigray and Eritrea...At that time, Yohannes subdued and collected taxes and tributes from Gondar, Gojjam, Shoa and Wello. But no country with the name Ethiopia was known in the world map and history. Even the Shoan king Menelik was collaborating with Italy which was making preparations to invade Eitrea and Tigray. In an attempt to weaken Tigray he was secretly dealing with the Italians. Italy was then giving Menelik money and arms.


As cited in Alemseged Abbay's 'Identity Jilted.'Hezbawi Democraciyawi Program. Adopted during TPLF's second congress, May 1983. p.6

Quote:
Tigrayans will struggle against [Amhara] chauvinists who think Ethiopia belongs to them alone. And they consider themselves as the donors of the certificate of Ethiopian-ness to others.


As cited in the same book mentioned above. "Editorial," Weyin. June-July 1989.

Well, geez, I wonder why!


_________________
Says a tribal chief: “Here in Lesotho, we have two problems: Rats and the government.”

No body, no one, not even those who perpetrate or/and perpetuate it, deserve injustice.
Empress
Tewfit

Send private message

View user's profile
Sat Dec 22, 2007 3:20 am   
http://ethiopundit.blogspot.com/

Check out his/her Dec 16th entry:

Quote:
....A 2006 study by two economists found that there was a significant correlation between home country corruption (as measured by Transparency International) and unpaid parking fines"

Most countries or the diplomatic personnel in question pay their parking fines in New York City but some do not. Are you surprised, dear reader, to find out that the EPRDF Mission to the U.N. does not have a good record of paying parking tickets?


Lol. I thought it was funny. The link to the PDF file of the so called experiment is found on the link above. How credible is the experiment tho?


_________________
Says a tribal chief: “Here in Lesotho, we have two problems: Rats and the government.”

No body, no one, not even those who perpetrate or/and perpetuate it, deserve injustice.
Empress
Tewfit

Send private message

View user's profile
Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:20 am   
Dear CAPians (lol),

I am quitting this section of the forum for two months. What am I going to miss? Possibly Dr. Berhanu's decision on his moves next. If I am not mistaken, he said he will be done with his fellowship in May. I can't think of anything else.

Anyways, the discussions are just repetitions, I thought. Previously, I was a fan of the discussion board not because there is a specific goal to the different discussions, but because discussions occur just for the sake of discussing things with as much freedom as possible. But you can't help but expect something as the days go on. It gets boring at one point when it just seems like head banging over the same thoughts and same perspectives. Thats not to say I have not learned. That would be dishonest. I have learned a great deal.

So anyways, thats really only one of the reasons.

And the reason I am writing this here is to be able to keep myself accountable to my attempt at quitting.

By the way, sorry about unanswered posts. I have been busy with work and this (please go comment, btw), and I was hoping I will gather my thoughts and get back to you with thoughtful answers after I am done sending those mails. But what do you know? I made this spontaneous decision tonight.

It has got to be hard because politics is like my hobby...I started discussing politics with men when I was tiny. But I guess I can replace my forum discussions with more face to face ones, which are better anyway.

But two months. If I make it to two months, then it means I can make it to two years.

I will see you at the above referenced thread, and please come and comment and donate those of you who haven't done so already.

Sileyachihu be fegegta,

Baleagerua


_________________
Says a tribal chief: “Here in Lesotho, we have two problems: Rats and the government.”

No body, no one, not even those who perpetrate or/and perpetuate it, deserve injustice.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12

myESAi Forum Index » Current Affairs and Politics » Political random thoughts » Reply to topic

. . .
. Most users ever online was 252 on Mon May 14, 2012 9:07 am.