Is having faith blindly stupid?

myESAi Forum Index » Spiritual Enrichment

Zebegna
AdmaQi

Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:41 am   
Some might say that having faith without having proof (and I mean a good simple and clear proof) that 'God' or a higher power exists is really stupid. To those religious Esai people (Empress, Ariala Racemosa, and more), you can't say my prayers were answered and that's a proof for me and thus I'm qualified to have faith.

One good proof for believing in a higher power is if your higher power himself/herself appears and let you know that he/she exists and should have fiath in him/her. I know that in some scriptures like the Bible, Quran, and the Torah that some people (like Abraham, Moses, the Virgin Mary etc,) were thought to have heard the voice or vision of their higher power. Some, like Abraham, were even said to have met their 'god'. (by the way, this brings to my mind about the story of Jacob and how he fought with god. If god is a peace loving god then why was he fighting with a human? What kind of example would that set for Jacob?)

Another proof that I think might get you qualified for having faith is if you have seen a real miracle that is above the laws and physics of this world and can't be mistaken for a coincidence. For instance, I heard an Orthodox preacher (Memhir Zebene Lema) preaching that in Ethiopia there is a church with no roof (I think the reason was because they were poor) but when it rains, the rain doesn't go inside the church. If this is true, then I believe it is a good proof that a higher power exists.

I want to hear what you all think.

Peace.

Abe_Asfaw
Lij

Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:16 am   
This is a topic that can be debated upon in so many respects. It is therefore necessary to only explain our own opinions, instead of trying to impose our ideas upon others.

Having said that, I am of the opinion that faith, religion, divinity, or however one chooses to call it, should not be accepted based on proof. We all try to understand things and possibly decipher the connotations within, but faith is one of the things that is hard to explain but easy to accept willingly. Think about it. There are so many unanswered questions about (religious) faith that it would be practically impossible to have one if we were to assume that faith should be based on something.

At this point in time, almost all books of faith (religious faith in particular) are based on recollections, oral traditions, and motivated edits of what actually occurred hundreds (if not thousands) of years ago. So there's basically no real proof that almost all faiths are actually true. Therefore, it's really a question of whether or not one chooses to have faith in the models implied in these books. By saying that I am a believer, by declaring that I have faith in the Almighty, I am saying that I know there are things beyond me that I will never be able to comprehend from my limited point of view.

That's my stance on the topic. Of course, one can choose to have the philistine state of mind and choose to declare that life is all about what we see and feel, not what we believe (in). As I've stated already, this is a matter of preference solely based on how someone perceives the notion of "faith." Miracles and situations that defy the basic rules that we live by may alter this perception, as you have said.

myESAi Forum Index » Spiritual Enrichment » Is having faith blindly stupid? » Reply to topic

. . .
. Most users ever online was 252 on Mon May 14, 2012 9:07 am.